Monday 30 July 2012

How did Mr. Taylor do?

Every year I ask my pupils 4 questions at the end of the year. 1. What went well? 2. What didn't go so well? 3. What did Mr. Taylor do well? 4. What can Mr. Taylor do better next year?

The results are in, and here is what they look like. I'll give you a little background on classes, too, as we go along...

7Y1
My pride and joy this year. Achieved far above any other class in the year, and probably the school. 23 kids out of 30 on or above target, 9 of those above. All in a year when at times they didn't know who'd be teaching them when they turned up. I've eluded to this elsewhere, but this may be the last time I get to be proud of them...

What went well?

What didn't go so well?

What did Mr. Taylor do well?

What can Mr. Taylor do better next year?

Summary: In the end everything did go well, and I agree that their other teachers weren't beneficial to their progress - but maybe that galvanised them when they got me back? It was so easy to teach them and to have fun with them, but because of their enthusiasm there were also times that I lost my temper a little. I should've treated this lot to more 'fun lessons' (as they call them) and maybe should've organised a trip for them, but you live and you learn...

7X3
A struggle due to the behaviour of a handful of boys who were constantly challenging. Very few pupils achieved their target and I think this is down to a) disruption, and b) over inflated targets.

What went well?

What didn't go so well?

What did Mr. Taylor do well?

What can Mr. Taylor do better next year?


Summary: Yeah, not a great deal did go to well, to be honest. Mostly down to low level disruption and particular pupils disrupting every lesson. I wouldn't say that I taught them particularly well and this is definitely an area that I have to work on - more severe sanctions and better management of challenging pupils.

8H1
I took 8H1 on late, due to maternity cover. My set 3 went to the cover teacher and I took on set 1. Because of the limited amount of time we've spent together I didn't ask them to complete all the questions.

What did Mr. Taylor do well?

What can Mr. Taylor do better next year?

Summary: It was easy to have fun lessons with them - mostly engaged students who are switched on and good at discussing maths in real terms and its applications to real-life. They've given me a lot of food for thought and just like 7Y1, I'm hoping I can reward this lot next year. One thing that we will definitely do is a Friday afternoon quiz/test and problem solving.

10FC2
Our set 5 class isn't outstanding - too many kids who don't want to be at school and aren't bothered about failing. Little work ethic, poor punctuality and a 'Do it for me' attitude can be used to describe 70% of them. Hopefully the summer will force them to mature and they'll come back with a better attitude.

What went well?

What didn't go so well?

What did Mr. Taylor do well?

What can Mr. Taylor do better next year?


Summary: I can't say much went well, but I am hopeful for some Unit 2 Exam results (available August 23). I did all I could for them this year and had all pupils put their half in then we'd have some decent results to come back. It appears that the older kids enjoy sarcasm and 'dissing', and they've not given me a great deal that I think I can work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment